Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my wife got married in Utah im 2015. We moved to

Customer Question
Me and my wife...

Me and my wife got married in Utah im 2015. We moved to California last year. We have no young kids. We both work. Would I be required to lay alimony

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in UT family court?

No we live here now. San Diego

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good afternoon. Do you both make close to the same?
No she makes 30k I make 73
I agreed to pay 500 for 3 yrs
Thank you. Since there is a disparity in income it is possible that for a short period of time you may have to say support. I say this since you were only married for three years so it is possible a judge could order it. If they did I have provided a link below to a support calculator which you can use to get an idea of what you may need to pay to see if you offer is reasonable.https://cristinlowelaw.com/practice-areas/spousal-support/california-spousal-support-calculator/

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!