Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm filing for divorce and my husband is currently

Hello. I'm filing for...

Hello. I'm filing for divorce and my husband is currently unemployed he has a degree in IT

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet. I'm using the online program and it's asking for his income to compute child support payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

We live overseas in Qatar, but I'm filing in Georgia thats where we are both from and where our permanent address is

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No... i'm just trying to figure out how much to put for his income for child support purposes

3/23/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Has he worked in IT previously? Or did he make any money last year?

He finished his IT degree about a year ago. He has not worked in the last year. We are living overseas right now. My number is +974 5063 2286

So there area several ways you can approach this. First you could use his last income as that is historically what he has earned. Next, you could use the income of a job in the field where he is contemplating employment.

At present he does not have a job, but the issue with the many of the online programs is that they will not allow a TBD or ZERO for a wage amount.

When I am looking at child support and examining parents incomes, I want to know what they could make. Georgia recognizes a concept called "imputing" income which is where a Court can look at someone who is not working or who has allowed themselves to be underemployed and "impute" a higher income to them for child support purposes. For this reason, that I why I would say a good approach is to look at what he may end up making in IT. If is is applying or looking for jobs, I would say use the salary/income for those jobs.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Thank you.

You are certainly welcome and 5 star ratings are always appreciated.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney