Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my 45 year old's step-mother gain access to her texts on…

Can my 45 year...

Can my 45 year old's step-mother gain access to her texts on her cell phone without her permission or knowledge?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

She lives in Washington state.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet. She has threatened to do so. and that scares her on texting me and me to her.

3/23/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

It depends on who owns the phone. Whose name is ***** ***** bill? Who bought the phone? Is the phone password *****?

My girl friend and it is in her name and password ***** I told her that without the password ***** probable cause she could not gain access even if her step-mom went through the family attorney. Am I right?
Just answer me via cell phone.

That is correct. As long as the step mother did not buy the phone and as long as the phone is not in the step mother's name, she will not be allowed access to the phone. If she attempts to contact the phone provider, she will not be given access without your friend's permission.

Thank you.

No problem! Please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

Jessica B