Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I just broke up with my boyfriend, we got me a car when we…

Customer Question
I just broke up...

I just broke up with my boyfriend, we got me a car when we were together but he had to put it in his name due to me going through a messy divorce a few years ago, he told me via text that I have a month to put the car in my name. Now he is saying he wants $7000 for it by tomorrow or hes taking it. I have been paying on it and I have 2 kids... this is my only means of transportation. Can he do this? I have the text that says he gave me a month..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I dont know my rights what it comes to this

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
I'm on the insurance and I told him he gave me a month. He is saying it doesn't matter what he said because a text is not a legal binding contract
Can I use the text as leverage with him telling me I have a month to get it in my name?
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

So, in this case, since the car IS in his name you would need to sue him either for the money you have spent on the car OR ownership of the car. The text message itself does not create a binding contract since it's essentially just a promise in exchange for nothing... which doesn't make for a valid and binding contract.