Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I lost my son in December and he has a daughter (2 years…

Customer Question
I lost my son...

I lost my son in December and he has a daughter (2 years old) and never married her mother. It was an accident at his job. The baby's mother is not taking good care of my granddaughter and is partying and getting high on pills and canibus. She drives in that condition and her parents are wanting her out of their house. She gets money from L&I for my granddaughters care and she spends it on herself only and her habits. Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't want to lose my baby to neglect or accidents

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, to be a personal representative for my son

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: jb156200, Lawyer replied 30 days ago
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

A grandparent can’t obtain custody of a grandchild unless the child’s parents are unfit. Washington courts have stated that the preference for parental custody can only be overcome if a change of custody is in the child’s best interests.

Notably, even when a parent gives custody of a child to a grandparent, the grandparent still isn’t treated as a parent in a custody proceeding involving the grandparent and a third party.

Are you looking for custody or visitation of the your grandchild? It is a lower standard to be granted visitation rather than custody.

jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer