Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want a phone call from a family law. Ohio. Steps for what.

I want a phone...

I want a phone call from a family law

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Steps for what

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Asking a question

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a phone conversation with my ex's mother. I asked her what is her son planning on doing. Will he ask for shared parenting. I said I would be ok with him getting the kids 50 percent of the time. Our history in court is: he is trying to get custody of our kids, he hired a guardian, and on Monday he arranged with my lawyer to have a meeting to get more time with the kids. He is wanting to do an "agreement" my question is if she recorded our conversation could she be allowed to use it in court and if so use it to show that I am not concerned with the safety of the kids when they are with him, as I have stated before in courr
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She called me from a landline phone to have the conversation.
3/23/2018
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know if a domestic relations magistrate would allow a phone conversation to be admitted in court, also.

The General Rule is as follows:

According to the Ohio Revised Code (ORC2933.52), Ohio is a “one-party consent” state. This means recording of wire, oral, and electronic communications is legal if the person instituting the recording is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has previously given consent.

Admissibility in Court is another matter. The person offering the recording must establish a proper foundation for its admission. That would include offering evidence as to the circumstances under which the recording was made. Frankly the magistrate could go either way.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You got my phone request?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not received your phone call

I cannot respond to it. Another lawyer took it. If he or she doesn't call, redo the request.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney