Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We got married in Oklahoma then moved to Pennyslvania. My…

We got married in Oklahoma...
We got married in Oklahoma then moved to Pennyslvania. My husband went to jail in 2016, he was sent to Texas and never came back after he was released. I became homeless and lost everything. I've tried filing for divorce in the past but was informed that I would have to hire a private investigator to find him, seeing as I don't know where he is. It is now 2018 and I don't know what my next step is.
3/22/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You do not need to know where your spouse is. You can file for divorce on the grounds of dissertion. You will have to complete an affidavit that you have no idea where he is.

You will ask the court for permission to "Serve" or notify your husband through "Publication" in a newspapaer. This is referred to as "Alternative Service."

Here is the law on alternative service in PA:

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/231/chapter400/s430.html

You can get low cost or no cost help here:

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/divorce/pennsylvania/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

Also the law schools in PA have family law clinics that can help you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire