Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I and my husband are both Turkish but we got married in

Customer Question
Hello,I and my husband are...
Hello,I and my husband are both Turkish but we got married in California two years ago. I am unemployed and I don't have a work permit. My husband is working for a hi-tech company in Silicon Valley and he is earning 135k USD base (except stock and cash bonus) per year. We don't have kids. When we divorce, how much will my husband have to pay me monthly (as an alimony) and will he be supposed to pay a compensation too? I have seen his messages with another woman and he insulted me many times. We have been seeing a family therapist and family therapist told me that he is narcissist and depressed. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Are both parties legally present? Are there community assets?
No, community assets and yes both parties are legally present.
Thank you. A few minutes please as I prepare a response
Thank you.
California family code 4320 sets forth the factors the court may consider. There is no statutory chart or calculator. Here are those factors4320.In ordering spousal support under this part, the court shall consider all of the following circumstances:(a) The extent to which the earning capacity of each party is sufficient to maintain the standard of living established during the marriage, taking into account all of the following:(1) The marketable skills of the supported party; the job market for those skills; the time and expenses required for the supported party to acquire the appropriate education or training to develop those skills; and the possible need for retraining or education to acquire other, more marketable skills or employment.(2) The extent to which the supported party’s present or future earning capacity is impaired by periods of unemployment that were incurred during the marriage to permit the supported party to devote time to domestic duties.(b) The extent to which the supported party contributed to the attainment of an education, training, a career position, or a license by the supporting party.(c) The ability of the supporting party to pay spousal support, taking into account the supporting party’s earning capacity, earned and unearned income, assets, and standard of living.(d) The needs of each party based on the standard of living established during the marriage.(e) The obligations and assets, including the separate property, of each party.(f) The duration of the marriage.(g) The ability of the supported party to engage in gainful employment without unduly interfering with the interests of dependent children in the custody of the party.(h) The age and health of the parties.(i) Documented evidence, including a plea of nolo contendere, of any history of domestic violence, as defined in Section 6211, between the parties or perpetrated by either party against either party’s child, including, but not limited to, consideration of emotional distress resulting from domestic violence perpetrated against the supported party by the supporting party, and consideration of any history of violence against the supporting party by the supported party.(j) The immediate and specific tax consequences to each party.(k) The balance of the hardships to each party.(l) The goal that the supported party shall be self-supporting within a reasonable period of time. Except in the case of a marriage of long duration as described in Section 4336, a “reasonable period of time” for purposes of this section generally shall be one-half the length of the marriage. However, nothing in this section is intended to limit the court’s discretion to order support for a greater or lesser length of time, based on any of the other factors listed in this section, Section 4336, and the circumstances of the parties.(m) The criminal conviction of an abusive spouse shall be considered in making a reduction or elimination of a spousal support award in accordance with Section 4324.5 or 4325.(n) Any other factors the court determines are just and equitable.The court will expect parties that are able to work to do so but if there is a legal or physical reason why that is not possible the court will take that into consideration. Since divorce may affect one's status it is important to work with an immigration attorney as well.
The parties may stipulate to an agreed upon amount for a specified time as well

Here is some information regarding divorce, including issues such as support:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-divorce.htm

Any savings acquired during the marriage as a result of the parties' income is community property and will be divided 50/50 regardless of who earned it, as will that portion of pensions/retirement earned during that period.

Here is a link to the forms necessary to initiate the process:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/forms.htm

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.