Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a current order that states, my child's father is to…

Customer Question
I have a current...

I have a current order that states, my child's father is to bring her to her activities during his parenting time. He refuses, specially during the summer. She on junior now and is worried about being cut from the team. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have spoke to an attorney who said the court will do nothing about this issue, even though it's court ordered.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Minnesota

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue. Question - was the attorney who told you this a Minnesota licensed family law attorney?

I understand and yes, the attorney is MN licensed.

So that is puzzling. Family Court judges have specific authority to enforce compliance with their orders. The reason the system works is because if people don't follow the order the Court will hold them accountable. What you lay out I would consider serious. This action could cause your daughter's well being to suffer. Say she was pursuing a scholarship and as a result of his not taking her, she is not able to perform at a level that would grant her the scholarship.

It is for reasons such as this that Court's will enforce orders. In the past for situations like that I have seen Court's go so far as to modify parenting time.

In fact Minnesota even has a state generated Contempt of Court packet - link here - that is designed to address this.

I would not suggest doing a contempt proceeding without an attorney, but I would definitely suggest a second opinion.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.