Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I married my wife 2 years ago in Las Vegas with the

Customer Question
I married my wife...

I married my wife 2 years ago in Las Vegas with the understanding that we were both in agreement with adopting a kid since she cant have children. Two year later and now she has stated that she is not okay with adopting and that it's not an option she is willing to consider. Can I have this marriage annulled under these circumstances?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No steps have been taken, we've discussed the matter and she understands and agrees to getting our marriage annulled.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado but we were married in Las Vegas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers the basics.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

So Colorado recognizes what is called a Declaration of Invalidity that is similar to the concept of an annulment. That being said, the reasons for ending a marriage based on a Declaration of Invalidity are very specific. Of there there is one that addresses fraud that is so severe that it goes to the core of the marriage (paraphrasing there). It may be possible to pursue a Declaration of Invalidity based on the promise to adopt then backing out it.

Now, that having been said, annulments (or similar processes) are largely not done on a regular basis. The reason for this is that with the rise of the no-fault divorce, it is generally quicker and much easier to get the no-fault as a opposed to an annulment.

This is a basic overview and I am happy to answer any questions this may have raised.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.