Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I took care of my Granddaughter from October 2017 to January…

Customer Question
I took care of...

I took care of my Granddaughter from October 2017 to January 2018 while her mother was homeless, in drug rehab, removed for suicide threats for psych hold, and then in a shelter where she was suposed to until March. She showed up with the police in January after not having heard from her for several weeks and took my Granddaughter from Arkansas where she has resided since birth to Missouri. During Alia's stay here we found out that the paternity papers they filled out at the hospital had not been filed with the state, so when her mentally unstable Mom showed up there was nothing writhing the law I could do. My son and I hired an attorney in Missouri within 10 days of her mother taking her. Her mother refuses to let either of us see her, talk to her, and has moved to a homeless shelter in another city to avoid being served. If they do not get her served soon I have a suspicion that her next move is in Omaha and soon. If feel my Granddaughter is in danger due to some of her mother's psychological problems which remain untreated and unmediated. I was trying to find out more about the laws there to prepare since everyone has been taking their sweet time putting my Granddaughter in more jeopardy each day.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Paternity and custody, however it has been a month and a half with no service.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Father, Arkansas Mother, Missouri but suspect she will be in Omaha soon if not served quickly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Alia is 13 months old. Her mother has PTSD and personality disorder that sometimes causes violent outbursts followed by black outs. She is currently untreated.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If you are unable to serve her, then a Motion should be filed with the Court to serve her by alternate Service, which is publication in a local Newspaper. You can obtain blank Motion form at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office or online on the Court's website. Motion title: Motion For Service By Alternative Service. In the Motion you have to state efforts that have been made to find and serve her the Court papers.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
While in other cases you can served by other means, I do not believe this will work in this particular case since a DNA test needs to be done to gain rights to my Granddaughter for custody purposes.

Thank you for the information. I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law