Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Looking for an affordable family law attorney (possible

Looking for an affordable...

Looking for an affordable family law attorney (possible sliding fee scale) for my daughter. The father of her children took her two kids (8 year old son; 4 year old daughter). There is no custody plan in place and he has filed for custody in Washington. She resides in Salem right now. Both my daughter and her children's father have had drug problems in the past. He has used heroin & meth but is currently in sobriety. I am not sure how long. He also has a felony criminal record and past domestic violence assault iv and restraining order. My daughter needs rehab for abusing suboxine. Their current court date is 4/4/18. Should we even bother trying to postpone this hearing until she can finish rehab. She has a long road ahead of her. Since he took the children she has lost her housing. I can assist her financially if she can find an attorney who is honest about if she should try and postpone this custody hearing or if she let him have custody and when she has completed treatment at that time try for joint custody. She plans on moving to Vancouver in the same school district as the father if she loses custody so that someday she can seek joint custody. A DHS case was opened on her but the children were never taken away because my husband and I (maternal grandmother) were pretty much their primary caretakers while she was dealing with her substance abuse problems.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in WA family court?

She was served papers Tuesday night. The father told me they would be filed yesterday. He said he had court yesterday Clark County Vancouver Washington Superior Court I believe. I do not know the outcome of that. Is there a number we can call to verify the petition for custody was filed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I think they are doing this on their own

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well - no criminal background checks have been conducted on any of the people in the two bedroom apartment. He lives with his pregnant girlfriend who has given custody of her 5-6 year old son to her grandmother. They both have felony records. They also live with his mother and her husband in a two bedroom apartment so there is six of them with another baby on the way. Finances are really tight for them. There is heavy use of marijuana and alcohol in the home but other then that he is stable for the moment. Again, he left for a year and has been back I believe since Sept and has maintained housing although it's not in his name. We the grandparents have been their primary care taker for over a year. We are in our early 50s with all adult children. We own our home are financially stable and have been with our same employers for over 25 years. If it is ever found that the children are not able to live with either parent or they need to stay with someone temporarily while custody is being determined we'd like them placed with us. If we actually had rights we would seek custody but at this point we are waiting to see if we need to file a visitation petition. I'm inquiring more for my daughter to see if there is anyway to postpone until she completes rehab

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Sorry for the delay.

I've reviewed your question, and I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Yes, it is possible that if she hires an attorney, her attorney may be able to obtain a continuance for her, which hopefully would line up with her completion of the rehabilitation program.

Has a DHS case been opened against the father? Or is he completely recovered now?

In the event that your daughter and/or his parental rights are involuntarily terminated by the state, then yes you and your husband could petition the court for custody.

If you feel that both the father and the mother are threats to the safety of your grandchildren, then it's possible that you could have an attorney petition the court directly for involuntary termination of their parental rights along with a petition to legally adopt your grandchildren yourselves.

Washington state also permits grandparents to petition for visitation rights if parents are separated, so you are also eligible to do that as well.

Per site policy, attorneys here at JustAnswer are prohibited from retaining clients through the site, which means that neither myself nor any of the other attorneys here would be able to personally represent you on this matter.

Since the case has been filed in Washington, you can contact the Washington State Bar and ask for a referral to a custody lawyer in the jurisdiction where the case was filed.

The phone number is:

(206)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones