Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to get a court order to have my name removed as a…

Customer Question
I need to get...

I need to get a court order to have my name removed as a cosigner for a car loan. How do i do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

There is no court order. I need to get one. I live in Ohio.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is not a divorce case.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Unfortunately there is not really a way to get a court order releasing you from the loan on the car.

Rather, that needs to be done through the lender.

The loan you entered into as a co-signer is a legally binding contract between you and the lender.

Lenders will sometimes release a co-signer from liability, if the other signer to the loan now financially qualifies for the loan on their own.

If the credit of the other party has not improved such that they qualify for the loan on their own, then the lender may be reluctant to release you.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you, but I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!