Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In California can a spouse subpoena soon to be ex spouses…

In California can a...

In California can a spouse subpoena soon to be ex spouses reports made by others to police dept during divorce settlement trial... goal is to show pattern of abusive behavior and financial irresponsibility

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the spouse taken? Have they filed any papers in CA family court?

Many papers. Filed for restraining order. Denied. Even police dept supraised by judge decision. Was given temporary child support - hasn’t contributed a dime since last Dec.. she also has received emergency temporary 100% legal and physical custody. She’s finding out that he forged her name on car; ditto re her 401k; and has violated a court order to not iniate any kind of contact with her and children. They are set for trial in civil court May... they are going to try and go for fiduciary duty. Hard to prove. But recent precedent in Orange County. While married, a girlfriend filed a restraining order against him; others have told me they have filed police reports on him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

This is a doozy. I’m the sister. She works. I’m just trying to do some research for her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She’s already spent 50k. He’s been on his 4th attorney, owing the 3rd one 20k. He’s agreed to settle twice and after hours of negotiating, reneges costing her 5-10k Ok

3/22/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The information is relevant and would be subject to discovery!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
to be chest, my friend filed a police report when she felt he threatened her son. It was just reported. No further action taken. So any and all of that she could get.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Clear

Yes!

The discovery also appears focused, limited and not a lot of paperwork - more reason to allow it!

Kindly rate my answer 5 stars.

*****

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Also, she is subpoenaing his “spoof” account to see numbers he has used to send harassing texts to me, ex wife and family friends. So any official documentation on this guy to show a pattern would be helpful. Also, I read according to FCC rules if spoofing used to harass especially in cases involving domestic abuse cases, it’s against FCCrules up to 10k per spoof fines. Is that true? And is that a criminal matter

That is correct, but not something that would normally be considered in the civil case, and such criminal cases normally not pursued.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
One last question... she filed a

go ahead

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Why aren’t they usually pursued. So no legal recourse other than establishing he’s a bad guy? Also she filed formal police report alleging (which he did do) forging her signature on a pink slip for car in her name. Value 3k. I read fraud over 1k moved from misdemeanor to felony. Would he receive any kind of punishment for this. Or would that not be followed up as well?
Police tend to defer to the civil proceeding unless there is serious physical injury or risk thereof.
If so I would report to the police and demand investigation!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Oh and a police officer called him (he’s now living in CT) to follow up on the forgery and his response over the phone was no comment and you can’t extridite me to CA. So, again, do they just drop it?Again he getS away with it? For this situation, what would be their next step in investigating? Will they put out a warrant for his arrest - at least for questioning if he steps back into ca. He’s a narcissistic sociopath
It is worth pressing the police to investigate and can escalate by having counsel speak to local prosecutor office.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok so that’s the last of my questions for now. I’ll def put 5star etc
Thanks!!
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
unless pressed by counsel, to elevate to prosecuter, the case just goes away? It’s fraud!!! So what happens when he comes back to ca. I’m sorry. He just seems to win all the time
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Sorry. Just wanted to clarify above

To pursue criminal matter, need police/prosecutor interest. It can also be raised in civil matter as well, especially if seeking an injunction/damages.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks! I added you to favorites. We are desperate- now going thru some of my savings.
Good luck!! Thank you. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Lawyer