Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I reported to my attorney that I have information my son is…

Customer Question
I reported to my attorney...
I reported to my attorney that I have information my son is being neglected the father comes home intoxicated and the grandmother is kicking them out when he comes home intoxicated. I reported this to my attorney and she seems like she doesn't want to go with filing emergency custody what should I do? I have already contacted CPS. I have text messages from the borhters girlfriend who was over there saying this was going on as well as severe fighting. My attorney keeps saying this is not enough evidence to get emergency custody. I feel that it is.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What has CPS done, if anything? Have the police ever been contacted while this was going on?

No we had no knowledge of it until now. CPS has investigated but Everytime they do they go to the house in the morning and he's not drunk. The grandmother and father pretend things are fine in the household to keep my son away from me still but the girlfriend said they are lying she's witnessed what is going on
The cases that they open they end up closing them because the family mainly the grandmother and father pretend nothing is going on

Thank you and please allow me a moment

A Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child so if there is a situation where the father is placing them in harm or there are issues with the environment and well being of the child, the Judge could modify custody. Of course, every attorney is different and if your attorney does not feel as though this is enough evidence or a basis to proceed, you have every legal right to find new counsel and get an attorney who will file this and try to get you emergency custody.

If I paid a retainer fee for the attorney can I get that back

What were they retained for? This or another action or was it just a general retainer?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law