Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I’ve been married for 4 years to my husband, still in the…

Customer Question
I’ve been married for...

I’ve been married for 4 years to my husband, still in the process of getting divorced. We have two boys. What are my options or am I able to request from him because of the divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yeah he has an attorney that’s handling it. But I don’t have one

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was active for a few years & now is a full time reservist in the Air Force

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Arizona is a community property state, so you're allowed to ask for a portion of assets acquired during the marriage, which includes any equity in the family home, money in bank accounts (in either of your names), equity in any vehicles owned by either of you, regardless of who drives them, and things like that. You also have a right to seek half of the money added to his retirement accounts during the marriage. This money would be paid to you directly by your husband after he retires; the military only splits accounts for marriages of more than 10 years.

You're entitled to request custody of the children, and if you get it, you'll also get child support. This website has calculators that will help you figure out how much you may be entitled to. That's what a judge will order if the two of you can't agree, so you don't have to agree to less than this amount.

http://www.azcourts.gov/familylaw/Child-Support-Calculator-Information

Many parents request that the non-custodial parent continue providing health insurance for the children after divorce, and you can ask for that in addition to child support, if he's been providing insurance already. He unfortunately is not likely to have to provide insurance for you for such a short term marriage, unless you quit working at his request during the marriage or became disabled. It might be possible in those scenarios to get his assistance for about half the length of the marriage, or two years, while you look for a job that would give you benefits.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?