Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Well my husband and I have been separated for about 2 and…

Well my husband and...

Well my husband and I have been separated for about 2 and half years but no divorce file at all. But he has went to another state and married another woman and has not helped with the kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Well with me taking care of two children alone I can't afford to pay for a divorce. But I tried with my state legal services and just found out that there is no lawyer in my area to take the case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have an open child support case with my state also but no payment has been made.

3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Ok thanks

You are legally entitled to receive child support payments for your children.

If a child support order was entered, but he has not been paying, a court can garnish his wages or accounts OR put a lien against his property for repayment of backed child support.

Are you interested in obtaining the divorce officially?

If so, you may be interested in a divorce by publication.

This is done when one spouse does not know the other's exact location, or has not been able to serve them with divorce papers, and allows you to publish notice of the divorce in a local newspaper.

Many people petition for backed child support or a divorce by publication on their own, and the forms can are usually available through the Clerk's Office at the courthouse, but you may also want to consider hiring an attorney to represent you in this process.

You mentioned having had some trouble with the local legal aid office, but another option to consider is contacting the Mississippi State Bar for a referral to a pro bono family lawyer in your area.

Pro bono attorneys voluntarily donate some of their time to help certain clients for free.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!