Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filled a motion to terminate guardianship because i no…

Customer Question
I filled a motion...

I filled a motion to terminate guardianship because i no longer need my brother to care for my daughter. My attorney withdrew from my case 2 days before my hearing die to "conflict of interest", he apparently was my daughters G.A.L. in a juvenile case a couple years ago, and i was given one week to find an attorney. I couldn't find anyone to go and was forced to have the hearing alone. I didn't know when to present the evidence i had and list the case. My attorney was my attorney for about 6 months on this case. We were ready for court. I can't understand why he ever took my money in the first place much less why it took that long to realize there was a conflict. I don't agree with the judgement and want to refile. What do i do.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

No it just happened. I contacted an attorney and he said i have to wait six months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The judge said if i dont like his decision i could hire any attorney and file something but i don't remember what it was.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/23/2018
Family Lawyer: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 1 month ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to continue.
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Hi. I am the expert that will be answering your questions.

I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist.

Generally after a Court decision the next possible step to take if you think the Court made an error is to file an appeal. Under certain circumstances f there is new evidence that was unable to be presented at the original hearing you can file for Reconsideration.

I do not understand why you were told you have to wait six months. On the contrary, the time periods within which you can appeal or file for reconsideration are far less. The Attorney who told you to wait may have been thinking about filing a brand new petition.

Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 29 days ago

Do you have further questions?

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney