Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is difficult.... my daughter has a hx of drug abuse,

though it was years ago...
This is difficult.... my daughter has a hx of drug abuse, though it was years ago, her addiction to meth, caused the loss of my beautiful granddaughter, she was adopted by her other grandfather and his new wife. My privileges to see her on weekends were taken away because I allowed my daughter to see her briefly at her birthday party.... there is so much more to the reason why....
But, though my heart longs to see her, my anger at my daughter for letting this happen hasn't completely dissipated, but 8 yrs ago she had another daughter, this child is the light of my life, my daughter said "God gave me a second chance". The father, married his fiancé shortly after he was told about
The pregnancy( he was engaged at the time
And she knew it) so he has NEVER even seen this beautiful child. His choice.
So I've noticed over the last couple of years my daughters withdrawal from our family except to ask for money and help with my granddaughter. I've helped a lot not because she deserves any help, but I can't stand knowing my granddaughter needs clothes, etc. now though I've suspected it, it's been confirmed she has been drinking excessively to the point she passes out. She has been working this last year, first job in 8 years Outside of working for us on occasion.
There are concerned people who babysit for her that have voiced their concern. She avoids talking to me at all. I have asked her repeatedly
To stop by so we can talk. I think she has an idea of what I'll say.
Now, I've been told about her passing out.
I need to do something now before some one else reports her to cps.
I was going to wait until school was out &
Tell her I want BreAnna for the summer,
I'm scared I'll loose another granddaughter.
Last time I didn't know where she lived or
How to get in touch, the caseworker called me then that's how I found out about my granddaughter who was already with HIS
(Her boy friends) parents. My grandson was ALREADY living with me, they wanted to know if I would keep him since the baby was already placed! , I raised my grandson for 10 years!!
Do I need to report her, what do I do?? The ONLY reason I haven't asked before now, is I have 3 herniated disc with 4 nerve impingements. I have not wanted the fusion operation that the neurosurgeon said I need.
I just had op surgery today to give me temporary relief with 6 spinal steroid injections. I hate this procedure it's very painful, but I did it do I could be mobile enough to get BreAnna. It lasts 3 mos then I can do it again. Aside from that I'm s very healthy young 70 yr old. Most think I'm 50-55.
Please, please tell me how to come to my granddaughters rescue. My daughter needs help. She replaced 1 addiction for another.
My husband and people in our church would help me with her if I need it. She doesn't have a dad, her mom never takes her anywhere, we do, our friends do. So she has been happy despite all she's missing, but she's getting older and more aware of things missing in her life. We and a few church members have paid her tuition to a nice parochial school. But her mom doesn't go to all the after school activities. Except 1, where her only responsibility is picking her up after the function once a week.
Help, please, pictures below of her with us at the zoo last summer and recently with my husband.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/23/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Michelle,
I've never had to wait this long, I was hoping to hear something before tomorrow when I was going to talk to my daughter.
Dee
Michael J, Esq.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. JustAnswer works best if we can answer a very specific question, since we're providing "information" and not "legal advice". Do you have a question about how CPS works? Or if you'd have a chance to be a placement for the child if CPS stepped in?

Thanks,

Michael

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
should I contact
Cps and put my name down as the person to contact if a problem arrives? In doing so, will that require me to voice my concerns?
If I do that, what's next?

Thank you.

;

When you notify CPS, it will typically be anonymous. The person describes their complaint, and then CPS starts a case on it, does an investigation, which could entail talking to the children, talking to relatives/teachers/friends, and visiting the home itself, and then tries to substantiate or unsubstantiate the complaint. If it's unsubstantiated, they'll move on their way. If it's substantiated, they will move forward with a process to remedy the issues that were substantiated. If it's a situation of alcohol abuse that affects the children in a negative way, CPS could try to work with the mother to provide counseling, AA, etc, possibly leaving the children there if there is no immediate danger. If the mother refuses this, or there is immediate danger, the children could be removed from the home temporarily, to either allow the mother to comply or move forward with some other type of living arrangement for the kids.

IF the children are removed from the home, CPS will then talk to close family, typically parents first. This is where you come in. If you were to speak with CPS and let them know you wanted the child, CPS will come do a home investigation and determine if you'd be a good placement. If you passed, they could possibly let you have the child temporarily or permanently. It's all decided on a case by case basis, but this is generally how it works.

The key here is nothing can be done if CPS does not know about it, so that's the first step. I deal with CPS on a daily basis so i'm very familiar with this process.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

Michael

If you want to speak to me personally, you can request a phone coversation to follow up or ask me a new question at https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-sololawyer/

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. The information I provide is based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer