Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

As of the last two weeks my wife has been hanging out at her…

Customer Question
Hello. As of the...

Hello. As of the last two weeks my wife has been hanging out at her mother's apartment at least that's what she told me about two weeks ago. Lately my kids have been saying she has her own apartment now but she won't tell me anything. We haven't spoken to each other in almost two weeks. If it's true she's moved out or in the process of moving how long should I wait before I decide to go to the step and end this marriage because this isn't the first time?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I'm waiting to see if and when she's actually going to tell me something.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Technically you may file for dissolution of marriage whenever you want to. There is no requirement as to a specific timeline. If you truly believe the marriage is over then I recommend filing sooner than later. Most people want to file before their spouse. If you sense she may be preparing to file for divorce you might want to file first.

Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!