Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a 15 year old girl date a 19 year old girl? Florida.

Can a 15 year...

Can a 15 year old girl date a 19 year old girl?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Just dating

3/22/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

It would be legal. Florida's age of consent is 18, although the law allows someone as young as 14 to have sexual contact with someone who is no more than 4 years older than the person. So a 15 yr old could have sexual relations with a 19 year old as long as there is no more than 4 years difference in age. This is called the "Romeo and Juliet" exception.

.

So if the 15 yr old had just turned 15 and the 19 yr old was 19.5, technically that would violate the law... but if the 15 yr old was 15.5 and the 19 year old just turned 19, it would not..

.

.

thanks

in florida , is there a law that allows a 16 year old to date a 20 year old?

Yes, Florida Statute 794.05 is Florida’s provision on sexual battery, and states that any sexual activity between two individuals – one aged 16 or 17 and the other aged up to 23 – is not illegal.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

thanks

i just made 19 and my girlfriend’s mother is trying to file a restraining order on me because i am over 18, we are both females my girlfriend is 15.. can her mother file a restraining order?

Legally no, because you aren't violating any laws here as long as you are 4 years or less older than your girlfriend..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer