Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My father has a judgement against him for 500000. If he dies…

My father has a...

My father has a judgement against him for 500000. If he dies who is responsible for the debt

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Court papers of the judgement

3/22/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

As long as the judgement is in your father's sole name, then a claim may be filed against his estate when he dies. If there are assets in his sole name, the owner of the judgment may file a claim against his estate in order to be paid. The beneficiaries are not responsible for the debt.

Jessica B