Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If I am excutor of my parents estate and I took the things…

Customer Question
If I am excutor...

If I am excutor of my parents estate and I took the things my father gave me and now my siblings have hired a lawyer to make me bring it back do I have to and if so can I sell the entire estate to pay nursing home fees and then what is left over devide between the siblings/

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have last will and testimony. I also have the belongings that my father brought to Nebraska to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was given things by my father and I took them from the home when I returned home, but my siblings were fine with it and now they have hired a lawyer. What should I do?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

if I am excutor of my parents estate and I took the things my father gave me and now my siblings have hired a lawyer to make me bring it back do I have to

Response 1: You have to if the estate has not been settled. No one should be taking anything from the estate if the estate has not been settled. However, if you told your siblings before taking the items and they were okay with you taking them, then you do not have to return the items. Just make sure you keep a list of what you took.

and if so can I sell the entire estate to pay nursing home fees and then what is left over devide between the siblings/

Response 2: Yes. Usually, the debts of the estate including expenses for the last illness, and funeral expenses are paid before distribution to the beneficiaries of the estate.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.