Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My children are 16 and 17 they do not wish to live in SC any…

Customer Question
My children are 16 and...
My children are 16 and 17 they do not wish to live in SC any longer and they do not wish to see their father my soon to be ex husband any more. Can the court force them to see him and continue to live in the same state as him. He is not wanting to pay me alimony and he makes 102,000. plus bonus a yr and I make 35000 this yr 31000 last yr due to bad health. I can do better for us in Alabama with my family. The GAL stated that since the psychiatrist they saw in Alabama stated they were both scared of their dads temper since it didn't get said here it doesn't hold as much as it did in Alabama. She even know and called the girl he claims not to be seeing his girlfriend to my kids and seems to be all on his side.
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 30 days ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this. Normally if an older teen does not wish to see their parent and they can express a mature and logical reason for this the court will adjust the visitation to minimize visits, perhaps leaving it up to the child or even ordering the parties to attend family counseling.The court may allow a custodial parent to relocate if it is in the best interests of the child. They will consider possible affects on visitation but this is not given as much weight if the children and parent do not have a close relationship.A party can be held in cobtempt of court for failure to comply with a court order so if a person has the financial means to pay the support order and refuses the court may sanction them with fines, the award of legal fees, even jail time to force compliance.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He is talking to the GAL every other week and she the GAL is refusing to even talk to the kids to me. At this point I am wondering if I can even get a fair trial with this judge and GAL. Is there anything I can do to get the court moved to another city
Generally a party would have to relocate and file a motion for change of venue and then the court would have to decide if the current court is a convenient forum.
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 27 days ago

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer