Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it legal for a mother to one hand slap a 16 year old in…

Customer Question
Hi is it legal...

Hi is it legal for a mother to one hand slap a 16 year old in the arm for screaming and breaking things.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes but the child has refused to cooperate with anything, and the police have refused to do anything about her assaulting household members

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Washington State

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that both DSHS in the police ever refused to act, they did nothing about an assault she committed on a family member but when her mother slapped her in the arm they said that was assault.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley

were there any injuries?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To the mother yes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Child is out of control and violent.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

a parent is allowed to discipline their child

from what you have said I do not see how this would be abuse

whether mother's conduct is legal is not the question

it is whether it is abuse and in my opinion, no it is not abuse

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What Washington laws are there to help with a teenager who has become aggressive and violent?
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago
If the child is not willing to agree to go to counseling or anger management or some sort of psychological help, then as a parent you can contact DHS and request help from them to get the child that help that she clearly needs
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

there are no WA laws regarding this. The only option would be to contact DSHS and ask for their help

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 26 days ago

can I help you further?

Ely, Counselor at Law