Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My neice has a 12 month old baby who had a father listed on…

Customer Question
My neice has a...

My neice has a 12 month old baby who had a father listed on birth certificate who is not her biological father. There are two DNA test proving the biological father and proving the birth certificate dad is not. She would like to get this changed. Birth certificate dad is willing to sign anything and biological dad has taken full respibsibikity.,. Emotional and financial. How can shevproceed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No. Nothing. She doesn't know where to start.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Ohio

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She would need to file a petition for paternity in the court and name the real father in the petition and also the father on the birth certificate to be removed. She needs to prove the father in the court and the court will order the birth certificate changed and she will also ask the court for an order of child support.

A court cannot order emotional support, only monetary child support.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.