Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My child biological father has nothing to do with her,

Okay, my child biological...

Okay, my child biological father has nothing to do with her, hasn’t seen her since Christmas and didn’t even pay attention to her then. Never calls or checks on her. He’s not on the birth certificate and has zero rights at all. My fiancé has been there for her since the last few weeks of my pregnancy and she calls him daddy. How would we go about him adopting her?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. I’ve just been thinking about it. Would the biological father have to have anything to do with it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The biological father has seen her maybe a total of 10 times her whole life and she’s a year old. He has another child and told me “I have a son I get to see everyday and I never see her so y’all dont need me”

3/21/2018
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, in order for him to adopt the child, the child's biological father's parental rights have to be terminated. That can happen either voluntarily, with his consent and relinquishing his rights, or forcibly, by a court order.

It sounds to me like you think he will not consent. Therefore, the court will have to terminate his rights. In order to get a court order to terminate his rights, the court has to find that he can't financially support the child, that he rarely contacts the child, he has abandoned the child, or that he has abused or neglected the child.

Here you can find the Mississippi statutes for forced termination of parental rights: https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2016/title-93/chapter-15/.

It includes the information about where to file, how to file, how to serve, etc. I highly recommend that you find an attorney to help you file this case. These matters can get very complicated.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Thank you!

No problem at all. But remember that I have not yet received credit for helping you today. Do you need information on how to give me that credit?

Longhorn Lawyer