Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my boyfriend are looking to get married as soon as…

Customer Question
Me and my boyfriend...

Me and my boyfriend are looking to get married as soon as possible

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have not. And I was wondering how to do that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wichita ks

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He’s from another country and he wants to become legal here.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; I have reviewed your post and don't believe I see a question posted. What is your question please? Is it whether one needs to be a legal resident in order to obtain a marriage license?

Just also wanting to let you know he’s here on a student visa, and we’re wanting to get married here legally so he can become legal and have papers.

There's no law that prevents an immigrant from marrying a citizen.

A person that enters legally may have their spouse petition for them to become an LPR: please see:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-3481/0-0-0-4484.html

Green Card for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizen

If you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, you can become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) based on your family relationship if you meet certain eligibility requirements. You are an immediate relative if you are:

• The spouse of a U.S. citizen;
  • The unmarried child under 21 years of age of a U.S. citizen; or
  • The parent of a U.S. citizen (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age or older).

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/immediate-relative-us-citizen

The fiance would file for an adjustment of status based on the above; please see:

If you are currently in the United States, in order to be eligible for a Green Card as an immediate relative, you must meet the following requirements:

• You were inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States;
  • You are physically present in the United States at the time you file your Form I-485;
  • You are eligible to receive an immigrant visa;
  • An immigrant visa is immediately available to you at the time you file your Form I-485 and at the time USCIS makes a final decision on your application;
    • Note: A visa is always available for immediate relatives.
  • The relationship to the family member who filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for you still exists;
  • None of the applicable bars to adjustment apply to you;
  • You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other form of relief; and

It is best to hire an attorney to assist with the process to ensure there is no delay.

Fiance visas are not applicable to those residing in the US:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/visas-fiancees-us-citizens

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.