Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm 16 i want to be emancipated because my father whom i am…

Customer Question
I'm 16 i want to...
I'm 16 i want to be emancipated because my father whom i am currently living with is emotionally abusive and makes me feel worthless. I can support myself and i want to be my own person. Where do i begin? What steps do take? Also what do i tell the judge?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much longer of a wait would there be for this question?
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 29 days ago
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
If you would like to wait for a response, please let me know.
If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 28 days ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the expert that will be answering your questions.

I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist.

In Pennsylvania, to be emancipated by a court you must show a judge that you are in the position to live on your own and support yourself. Some things that would tend to show that you can live on your own and support yourself include: --living apart from your parents, - being able to financially support yourself, and --being able to make smart, mature and responsible decisions about your own care and well-being. It is important to note that a court will use things that have already occurred as the basis for its emancipation order. A minor who wishes to be emancipated must demonstrate to the court that he or she already possesses these criteria; not that he or she aspires to them. These are difficult things for any youth to show, especially if they are in school full time. If you feel you have demonstrated these qualities and are eligible to become emancipated, in general you can go to your county’s juvenile or family court to begin the process.

Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 26 days ago

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney