Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has been paying child support for his daughter. after…

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been paying child support for his daughter. after court he has convicted of a criminal offense and got 5 years in prison in which he will have to serve 2 years. how do we stop child support until he gets out of prison.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

We have done nothing because we didn't know what to do and it just happened yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Illinois

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley

he would need to file a petition to suspend child support as he will not be able to pay

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 4 months ago

I would have an attorney do the form for them