Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My step mother who lives in another state recently broke…

Customer Question
Hi, My step mother...

Hi, My step mother who lives in another state recently broke into my dad's phone and provided my ex-partner with out of context information, which the two of them used to have my children temporarily taken away from me. She worked with my ex-partner to testify against me even though she doesn't live anywhere near me. The children were returned, however, I believe she is a danger to my children and have asked that there be no contact between her and the children without me present. I have learned that she is Skyping with the children on a daily bases when they are with my ex-partner. What can I do to enforce no contact between my step mother and the children. They are also being forced to now call her grandma.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

I don't know what papers to file? I would like to protect my children from being verbally or physically abused by her. As she has a long history of demeaning my relationship with my children as their mother and now conspiring to have them taken away from me using out of context information which she stold from my Dad's phone without his knowledge. What paper do I file to ensure she is not have contact with the kids without my supervision?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

She is in Utah, I am in Arizona. I do not want her having phone or personal contact with the children without me present.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, she has a history of trying to tear my family apart. She used similar tactics when I was growing up to try and get me taken away from my mother. The case was thrown out of court and her attorney disbarred. She has a history of telling me the kids love her more than me, in-front of the the children, belittling me, telling my children I am a failure, I am a bad mother, I make bad choices... You can see where I am going with this. Now is conspiring with my ex-partner to remove them from their school, all extra caricular activities, and any kind of stability of their daily routine. Written requests have been sent asking her not to have contact with the children without me present.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Also, I would like it noted that she is giving my ex-partner instructions to not follow orders from their doctor to give the children allergy medication daily. She is also instructing my ex-partner on how and when the children need to wear their glasses when intstructions have been given from the doctor. These instructions are being ignored and replaced by her verbal instructions.
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Thank you.

You would need to file a motion with the court and ask the court to deny her access to the children. The courts generally defer to the parents on who should and who should not have access to them. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

What motion do I file? Is it classified as a particular form?

Is the court case in Arizona or in Utah?