Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is the law in Florida when you get a divorce is it

What is the law...

What is the law in Florida when you get a divorce is it 50/50 split of all assets earned in the marriage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in FL family court?

None, My husband was in an accident 9-9-2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this yet?

We are getting a settlement in a couple of days and he does not want to give me any of it, we were not married at the time of the accident, we married because he wanted me to have the money incase something happened to him. Now two and a half years later, he wants a divorcé., and not give me any of it

3/21/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

This is Florida Statutes - Chapter 61. And it is not 50/50 per se. Florida is referred to as an "equitable distribution" state, which means the Court will strive to divide it fairly, but this is not 50/50 all the time.

Anything earned in marriage is considered subject to division. An award in an injury is subject to division also EXCEPT the pain and suffering portion which is his alone.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law