Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is getting divorced and my daughter is refusing to…

Customer Question
My son is getting...

My son is getting divorced and my daughter is refusing to let me see my step grandson i live in RI do i have any rights

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in RI family court?

I filed papers for reasonable visitation because in RI grandparents have rights but he is my step grandson and i want to know my rights before i go to court

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No but filed papers myself and cost a lot

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, without a biological relationship to the child, or an adoptive one, a court will not order visitation. The step-relationship legally terminates upon the end of the marriage.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is this thing called presidence..and she set the presidence by allowing me to raise both my stepgrandson and biological grand daughter they lived with me without the parents for 1 year. and/or what if separation is detramental to the child

That is not the same as legal precedence and a court will only grant visitation for an ex step parent in very rare and special circumstances.

There is no legal precedence for awarding visitation to an ex step grandparent and it is highly unlikely that a court would set such precedence.

However, you are entitled to access the family court and make your request. I just do not think it is likely a court will grant such an order.

Again, I am sorry.

Ely, Counselor at Law