Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been divorced for seven years and just discovered…

Customer Question
I have been divorced...

I have been divorced for seven years and just discovered that there is a piece of land that is owned by my ex and I. Both of us are disabled and wish to place this land into a trust for the kids. Since this was not addressed in the divorce, should we return the divorce court or simply establish a trust and transfer the land to that trust?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

We have not taken any steps yet...just trying to figure which is the cheapest and quickest way before hiring an attorney to dispose of this lot.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No...just that I am terminal and he is mental is we have limited resources and one shot to agree on such a matter.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Since the property was not mentioned as part of the divorce, there's no need to go back to court unless you can't agree on what to do with it. The judge would only approve your decision to put the property in a land trust, but you don't need his consent to do it. Also, one lawyer should be able to set up the land trust and transfer the property. But if you went back to court, you'd each need a separate lawyer - one couldn't represent you both. So that would wind up costing you more and taking longer.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?