Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a 58 year old that was adpoted when I was like 4 or 5.

I am a 58...

I am a 58 year old that was adpoted when I was like 4 or 5. My natural parents were re-united when I was 21 years old and have had a relationship ever since. Does my father have to re-adpot me back to include me in his will ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. This is complicated and I don't know the rules. My father wants to leave me everything but my sisters ( who weren't adpoted have nothing but contempt for my father and no real relationship exists. He asked me to find out what he can do to insure no probate

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California but my father lives in OR now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are 3 boys 2 girls in the family. All boys were given up for adpotion one lives in Texas and has no relationship, the other was with me but doesn't like my father.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The deal in a nut shell is My father and I have always had a good relationship. My Mother and father divorced right after the adpotion and both were in other marriages since. My Father is un married now and none of my siblings have a relationship with him now or for years as they all hate him and want nothing to do with him. He has a sizeable estate he wants to leave to me ( he's 78 years old) when he passes but nothing for any of my siblings unless I choose to give them anything. His worry is because I was adopted this may create issues. He now lives in Oregon but the birth took place in California as well as the adoption. He asked me to research this to find out how to make it leagal, or does he have to adopt me back.
3/21/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. No, he does not have to adopt you to include you in his will. Look at it this way: he can completely disinherit any children that would otherwise be included in his will and give everything to his best friend (or whomever he wants). Now if you were adopted, he DOES have to specifically include you in his will by name or some other indication that he wants to include you. But he does not have to adopt you to include you in his will. All he has to do is be specific about you and what he wants to leave you in the will.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. If he follows your advice does he have to specifically name each one and note that he's not leaving anything for them ?
my 2 sisters were not given up.

It's best to name each one. He can name "categories" ("my children", "my biological children", etc...) but it's best to name specifically the individuals to show that he understands to whom he is leaving certain bequests, and also the more specific the gifts, the more likely it will be that the specific gift will be honored.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay ty.

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer