Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband has married the woman he was having an affair…

My ex-husband has married...

My ex-husband has married the woman he was having an affair with. It was a nasty divorce. I had proof of infidelity etc. She is quite a few years younger than myself or my ex- husband. She was the secretary of the small company my ex and I previously owned. Both are textbook narcissists. It has been six years. We do not speak. I try to co-parent with him - but he has her reply to me instead. She is nasty and unproductive. So I informed them both some time ago, that I would only deal with him. This has been to no avail. She cannot stop herself from acting like a jerk and emailing me emotionally charged e-mails. How can I legally make this woman stop contacting me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

In my divorce agreement several years back - it stated that she was not to be left alone with my son. She could only be in his presence with my ex there. This has not been enforced through the years. Other than that, there has been nothing. But I want to do something to get her to quit e-mailing or other contact.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

We are all NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a big advantage in custody. He has dinner with his father twice a week and spends Friday night 6 PM to Saturday 6PM visitation- with a week each in June, July and August. I do not want to reframe my custody, under any circumstances and do dot want anything that could possibly screw that up.

3/21/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Some people can't be adults, can they? Question: has she threatened you in any way?

She interferes with peaceful co-parenting. As I mentioned, they are both full blown narcissists. There has been no physical threat, but there has been harassment via internet. She would not quit today, until I told her I would engage an attorney to make her stop. I have informed my ex upon numerous occasions, I will not accept e-mail or any other communications from her. He loves to triangulate. He knows I have moved on with life and he is still trying to stir up emotions. What makes me angry, is that they are trying to put my son in the middle of their bat crap crazy.

Okay. Your best and most immediate option for relief is a restraining order. However, you'd have to show that she is indeed harassing you. In NC, this is called a no-contact order. In a civil no-contact order, a judge can order the abuser or stalker to stop all stalking actions of you and to stay away from you. You may receive a temporary order, which will last until you can have a full court hearing (usually within 10 days) and a permanent order, which will last up to one year. See NCGS § 50C-1 - NCGS § 50C-8.

For instructions on how to file, see HERE.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law