Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a document signed by the judge states, "Father will

If a document signed by...
If a document signed by the judge states, "Father will maintain health insurance through his wife", does this obligate the insurance company to keep the child on the step mothers plan even if the step mother does not want it and is not a signing party?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Why does the insurance company want to remove the child? Is the wife not able to add the child?

The insurance company doesn't want to. They are stating its not an option to remove the step daughter from her step mothers coverage because the court order says the father will maintain insurance through his wife; therefore, obligating the step mother even though she is not a signing party to this agreement.

The insurance company is not a party to the divorce, so a Judge can not force them to keep a child on a plan, if there is a reason they want or need to drop them. This is between the father and his ex and the father is required to keep the child on his wife's plan. If for some reason the child cannot remain, the father would still likely need to pay for health insurance and place the child on a plan. The fact that the Judge ordered the father to do this, has nothing to do with the insurance company.

Okay. Just to clarify... Just because the order says the child should or should not have an insurance does not obligate the insurance company to maintain or discontinue coverage? That still comes from the obligated party to either enroll or disenroll from the insurance?

Yes, correct. The insurance company has nothing to do with this. They are not a party to the divorce or whatever legal action is pending with the court. It would appear that the intent of the order by the Judge, is for the child to have insurance, so if something prevents this from having with the stepmother, the father likely needs to obtain a similar or comparable plan. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer