Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Louisianan with my daughter (18 months old) i have…

Customer Question
Hello i live in...

Hello i live in Louisianan with my daughter (18 months old) i have talked to her father (who lives in Florida) twice while i was pregnant and that is it. he has not tried to contact me or any of my family. now his new Girl Friend (who is pregnant with his child) has contacted me on facebook (for his behave) i told her he would have to go to court and get a DNA test done get on the birth certificate and put on child support. she said he agree's to this and will do it in a couple months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in FL family court?

Can i go for Supervised visitation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I have not i am in Louisiana where me and my child live, she just messaged me on Monday. nothing has been done with the court or a lawyer yet. i am just wanting to know what my best options will be. getting sole custody, supervised visitation, going through court in Louisianan and not Florida?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

August of 2016 was the last time we talk, he decided he wanted to be in her life (after we broke up and called off the engagement in march of 2016 because of him cheating) we met up to get lunch. i took a home drug test with me and he failed in. So that is when i told him we needed to go to court for visitation and i haven't heard a word from him since (until Monday when his girlfriend reached out to me). Is it free to talk to the lawyer?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If you were never married and he is not on the birth certificate and there is nothing to evidence, show or support he is the father, there is nothing that necessarily needs to be done, since there is a presumption you are the mother and have sole custody. The burden is on HIM, to file in Lousiana, which is the home state of the child, to first establish paternity and then to try and obtain visitation. Seeing how he lives in Florida right now, he would have to fly in to see the child and if you have concerns, can start by asking that the Judge order supervised visitation. I do not think a Judge would just give him shared custody after he has been absent and out of the life of the child but they may allow supervised visitaiton to start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is supposedly going to get a DNA test and get put on child support, if he does this in Florida can i change it to Louisiana?

He would have to file in LA, which is the home State of the child. All this should be done where you and the child have resided. If he tried to do this in FL, you could file a motion to dismiss, for lack of jurisdiction.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer