Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I divorced in 1998 in Georgia, no contest, she had a lawyer.

As part of the settlement...
I divorced in 1998 in Georgia, no contest, she had a lawyer. As part of the settlement I was to pay 1/2 of my Army VSI to her until it ended as it was mandated by law. Three years ago I discovered that VSI is a settlement and not retirement. I have been working with the ex wife to come to an agreement on this and she refuses to cooperate. Can I re-file/re-do/ pray for rain? What can I do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. She refuses to agree on what?

to renegotiate the VSI payment. The rest of the settlement is long done. This remains until I am 74.

Thanks...so are you asking if the divorce court had authority to order you pay her a portion of this VSI? If not, what is your question regarding this?

The attorney that handled the divorced said that the VSI was a military pension and had to be shared. I signed the agreement. Now I find that VSI need not be shared. The attorney was incorrect. I want to file (or whatever I can do) to have the court end this payment to her.

Umm...I think the attorney you spoke it is wrong.

Can you speak on the phone? This would allow me to address your concerns directly. There is a nominal ($5) additional charge. I do not time my phone calls...we can converse until you receive the information you need.

Fine. Lets talk.

I sent the offer? Can you see it? Once you accept I can provide my #

P. Simmons, Lawyer
p>

Thank you for using the phone option. Please give a call (or let me know if you can not see my #)