Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Must both parties be present in an uncontested divorce final…

Must both parties be...

Must both parties be present in an uncontested divorce final in gwinnett county, ga?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in Georgia family court?

Yes. all papers have been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, it's a pro se case

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A date for the disposal is already set for later this month. My wife lives in New York

3/21/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

If you both mutually agree to the terms of the divorce, and you've filed an Agreement with the court -- then, no both parties do not need to be present.

If your wife lives in New York, then she should be fine not appearing in court as long as she has signed the Agreement, as well as an Acknowledgment of Service and Consent to Jurisdiction.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I hope that helps!

Nisha Jones