Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a lawyer to review my postnuptial agreement. I need…

Customer Question
I need a lawyer to...
I need a lawyer to review my postnuptial agreement. I need to ensure that it will be legally binding and that the financial breakdown is acceptable.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
See attached for my current version. The red wording is what I have added so far.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also need this postnuptial to not have any loopholes what so ever to expose me.
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am okay with waiting for an answer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have updated the agreement. See attached.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley

did you draft this yourself?

where did you get the form?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got the form online. I have made edits based on some laywers' advice while considering my situation.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

I have had an opportunity to review the agreement and I see no problems with it especially after the red edits are put in

the key is as long as both people have the opportunity for independent attorneys to counsel them

I see the provision is there that both had the opportunity

full disclosure of assets and liabilities is the key as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are you feelings on this statement?
In the event the marriage is terminated, all marital property shall be divided between the Parties proportionate to the Party's contribution to the property (e.g., where the First Party provides 75% of funds for the purchase of property i.e. education, etc. and the Second Party provides 25% of the funds, that property would be divided 75% for the First Party and 25% for the Second Party) which will be made remediable at the termination of marriage. If a party is unable to reimburse for the other party’s contributions, this shall be taken into account when the martial property is divided.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The reason why I ask is because I paid for the wife's education and she has not earned the money to pay me back per say.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

as long as they parties can show what percentage that they put into the marriage, that is fine presuming the parties agree to it

there is nothing wrong with that paragraph

for a marriage that keeps good track of who pays for what it is good

that provision is valid for the reason you state, if they can not pay at time of separation then it is taken into account at marital division time

Ely, Counselor at Law