Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I just completed a child support case in NC. The outcome was…

I just completed a child...
I just completed a child support case in NC. The outcome was extremely unfavorable to me which I attribute to the extremely poor performance of my attorney. His extreme disorganization of thought and action made it impossible for me to understand or contribute effectively in my own case. His standard answer to my repeated questions on my case was simply to state that he was the attorney with 40 years of experience and I needed to "trust" him and let him do his job.I know about my rights to appeal the decision. What I'd like to know is if there is a process to request a new hearing because of inadequate representation?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

N.C. Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 60 allows a person to file a Motion for Relief from a Judgment or Order. The rule doesn't specifically talk about adequate representation, but one of the grounds is "mistake, inadvertence, or excusable neglect." People sometimes use that grounds as a request for relief if they can get the lawyer to admit making a mistake (and to write the motion). But it is also possible to explain to the judge that you relied upon your attorney and ask him to reopen the judgment because it is excusable to trust your lawyer's judgment in preparing the case.

You can also argue that the judgement should be set aside under reason 6, which is "Any other reason justifying relief from the operation of the judgment."

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer