Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex wife and i married in New York in 2001 and had two…

Customer Question
My ex wife and...

My ex wife and i married in New York in 2001 and had two kids and lived there until July 2007. In July 2007, we moved to Wisconsin. My ex wife and I divorced in Wisconsin in June 2014. We have joint custody:50-50. In July 2015, we all moved to Berkeley California maintaining joint custody: 50-50. In February 2017, we moved to NZ. She and my kids have a residence visa and i have a visitor visa. In January 2018, she requested child support and i started to pay but we didn’t go through the courts. We are now considering going to court to ajudicate child support requests. Which State has jurisdiction?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in NY family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need to know which state has jurisdiction to adjudicate child support requests based on the information that i provided.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2018
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The Wisconsin court likely retained jurisdiction or child support, modifications, etc. That said, if no one lives in that state any longer, you should be able to transfer the case to a new state that does have jurisdiction. Generally, the court will transfer the case to the county and state where the children reside.

But, you will have to file a motion to transfer the case from the current court to the new county/state.

Once that occurs, you can transfer the case and pick up where you left off.