Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What does a pre nuptial agreement actually do? California. I…

What does a pre...

What does a pre nuptial agreement actually do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I got married but never filed for a marriage certificate. I have 2 kids. i am not working now. Can I get alimony, child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can a prenup be signed now or is it too late. been married for 6 yrs now

3/21/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
It generally protects assets and keep your separate assets separate. It is not recommended you sign unless you have more funds than spouse.
It can be signed post nuptial. Support and alimony would not be waived and should not agree to that.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
u are saying that if I sign the post nup, I waive my rights to any of his assetts but i can still get child support and alimony
but I see no advantage to signing and you want it carefully reviewed by your lawyer.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
would it be better to get the marriage certificate signed and would it make any difference if we get divorced later
No difference. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
is it true that i am truly not considered married, even though we file a joint tax return just because i do not have a marriage certificate?
I will rate u when im done. thanks
Technically not but would be recognized based on the conduct and tedunicality overlooked.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
as it stands right now, with no pre or post nup, i can still get alimony and child support, correct?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
even if i start work? last question
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
thank you
Infolawyer, Lawyer