Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I moved from Ledyard CT to Groton CT not to ago and my son…

Customer Question
I moved from Ledyard...

I moved from Ledyard CT to Groton CT not to long ago and my son goes to Juliet W long in Ledyard and they are not allowing him to finnish his school year and want me to remove him. What rights do I have as a parent?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in CT family court?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

NO

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 30 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

This is a public school, correct? Please tell me:

1) Does your son have a 501 or an IEP plan?

2) What is he accused of to have the school want to expel him?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The school is not expelling him, we have moved and they say because he no longer lives in Ledyard he has to look for another school 15 minutes away where we live in Groton CT. They won't let him finish his school year out instead. I thought it would be harder for the boy to just up and try to start at another school. They say because of CT General Statue 10- 186 (b)(2) and 4 my son no longer meets the residency requirements. It's only 2 and half months left in the school year and they wont allow him to Finnish it.

Thank you. I am sorry, but there is no exception here. It sounds like the schools in your area are by neighborhood zones, and he no longer lives within that zone. There is no right to "finish out" the school year; he must immediately transfer to the school of the zone where he now lives. I am so sorry.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law