Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband has left our home. He is offering to pay certain…

Customer Question
My husband has left...

My husband has left our home. He is offering to pay certain things and wants a divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I want to be sure by going to a mediator that I am not screwing myself.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No papers have been done this far

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Mediation is not binding, so you do not have to sign and agree to anything. it does give you and him a chance to try and work this out and any issues, so you can see what he offers and accept it or make a counteroffer. If your concern is about doing or agreeing to something and harming yourself, you need to bring legal counsel with you. Before mediation, they can go over all the marital debts and assets and share with you what you are entitled to and liable for and use this to settle at mediation.

My husband makes over 100,000 a year. He pays child support on a daughter he previously had ($400 a month). We have an almost 10 year old and twin 4 year old girls. We have been married for 11 years and together 12. He is offering to pay the house payment ($1000 a month), my car lease (about $300) and car insurance on the car, as well as giving me 1000 a month

All this needs to be looked over and calculated, to see what you may be entitled to. That is not something that the site can do as we are unable to provide legal advice nor represent you.

Says he will pay my hospital bill which was about $1200 deductible, which he agreed to pay before we broke up. Give me our tax money from this year. He is fighting me on his 401k saying there is only 20,000 in there and if I get half he won't be willing to pay for the rest. For the house payment says he doesn't want the kids to be uprooted

The 401k would be what has been acquired and earned during the course of the marriage. You would have a legal right and interest to share in it.