Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have tried to research this question as I am going through…

Customer Question
Hello! I have tried...

Hello! I have tried to research this question as I am going through mediation for divorce. I have 2 teenage children, 18 and 16. Trying to work out a settlement amicably however 2 sticking points. If the mother makes more than the father and the mother will be the custodial parent and will live in the house. My husband is complaining about paying child support for my teenagers. I should pay 60% of the support and he 40%. Is the 25% capped at using 150,00 total? Or do we use our actual combined income to compute the 25% and then the split? #2: Can he force me to sell the house or buy him out? Can we agree to stay in house for XX years (kids in college) and then he gets a portion?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No. meeting with a mediator this week. gathered all pertinent statements, etc. for them and completed a monthly budget.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it. Those are the major sticking points.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Give me a few minutes to look over your information and I will have some thoughts and an overview for you.

So on the child support, the approach would be to use your income and his to get a total amount of income. Of that amount since there are 2 children, the support amount would be .25 (25 percent) of that amount. You would then look at your individual income percentages of the total. If, from your example you have 60% and he 40%, them you take the .25 of the total income and multiple it by .40 (40 percent) and that would be his obligation. As far as his not wanting to pay support for teenage children - until the children are viewed as emancipated in the eyes of the court and are still covered by the requirements of child support, he doesn't really get a choice.

Now, as to the house, at mediation, he cannot force you to do anything.

Mediation is a process where a non-judicial individual assists parties in reaching an agreement. The mediator cannot "make" anyone do anything.

In the plain court approach, the options are you buy him out, he buy you out or sell the house and divide the proceeds in some fashion. However, at mediation you can trade equity, you can delay equity or even some other option. It is completely possible and happens all of the time that people will agree to remain in a house for X number of years then sell the house and use a pre-established formula to divide equity.

The beauty of mediation is that you can discuss all types of options and the discussions, if not successful in settling the case, cannot be used in Court. As well, you can also do things a Court would not do. Just because you agreed on something different, that does not mean a Court would not accept it.

While mediation is not 100% successful as the mediator cannot compel any action, successful mediators settle the vast majority of their cases and are skilled at assisting parties in settlement.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney