Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Just a little background information; I have a 6 year old…

Hello,Just a little background information;I...
Hello,Just a little background information;I have a 6 year old son with my exwife,
We divorced in CT during 2012,
We have joint custody,
I dont have to pay child support but I'm responsible for his childcare i.e. medical, daycare, etc.Here's my dilemma;
We both live in FL and my son goes to Aftercare at his elementary school, i pay weekly as always for him to attend and then she picks him up when she gets off work. However she has accrued a fee for picking him up late and for whatever reason refuses to pay the late fee. She claims since im responsible for his childcare then im responsible for it, ive tried reasoning with her by saying it's her fault that it accrued and she is responsible for the late fee because it's she that is breaking the agreement here.She claims that im responsible and the court will see it her way if we go back. I find that she's being very petty over something that is her fault.Im I ultimately responsible for these late fees because i lay his Childcare or in this case is she responsble because it was her who accrued it for breaking the agreement?
3/20/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Ultimately this is something that would be in the judge's discretion to rule on.

There's not anything in the statutory law that codifies financial responsibility in a situation like this.

However it is unlikely that a judge would rule in her favor that she can unreasonably continue to accrue late fees simply because you are financially responsible for daycare and aftercare.

Her obligation is to pick your child up on time, and she's failing to do so.

A judge would most likely try to reach an equitable conclusion, such as some sort of split in the amount of late fees due, as well as order her to pick your son up on time from aftercare.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!