Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex and I reached a new child support agreement in

September of 2017. Since then...
My ex and I reached a new child support agreement in September of 2017. Since then, my income has changed and my number of over nights have increased which would both lower child suport. I reached out to the opposing attorney to see if we could reach an agreement and was told that if I file, she will file for dismissal because of the statue that it has been less than 1 year and I elected for a change in my finances. Is there such a statute? Also, last time it took 11 months from filing to get a mediation date bc they drug it out for so long. If theu do that again, it will be well over a year. The county for this case is Floyd Co, IN
3/20/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Best you are going to do here is to file in September , 2018 it has to be a year before you can claim change of circumstances.If your income change voluntarily, you took a lesser job then be prepared to show why you cannot work two jobs, etc it is bound to come up here.

Indiana law provides that child support can be modified upon a showing of (1) changed circumstances so substantial and continuing as to make the terms of the current order unreasonable; or (2) if a party has been ordered to pay an amount in child support that differs by more than twenty percent (20%) from the amount that would be ordered by applying the child support guidelines; and the order requested to be modified was issued at least twelve (12) months before the petition requesting modification was filed.

A change in income, additional children born to either parent, or if a parent no longer exercises parenting time may all be considered substantial changes in circumstances entitling a parent to either pay or receive a different amount in child support.

You would serve her with your motion after 12 months and set it for trial.She is never going to agree to lower your support,thats pretty clear.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer