Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex stole my dog which is in my name on ownership papers…

Customer Question
My ex stole my...

My ex stole my dog which is in my name on ownership papers and is holding him

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet my lawyer is waiting for the DA to call back

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do i have to pay for this

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All of his vet records are in my name, his AKC papers, everything

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a conversion because this person has taken your dog and will not return it. Conversion occurs when there is a substantial interference with the personal property rights of another. This is possible when either a person is blocking the rights of another’s right to the personal property, even if that person had authority to possess the property, but that right was taken away by the owner (e.g. the owner took away permission from the person currently in possession). Usually, the measure of damages is the fair market value of the property at the time of conversion or a return of the property itself. For example, a vehicle that is worth $4,000 at the time the owner’s access was blocked is likely what a court would award. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that the property should be returned ASAP There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

There may also be a cause of action for theft, but the district attorney will have to be the one to take that ball and run with it.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My lawyer I have says it is theft. The dog was a gift to me - therefore i have all of his papers, vet info, all records stemming from when he was born. He is in my name - again, i have papers listing me as his sole owner
Family Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. Have you reported the theft to the Police? They may not want to get involved because of he divorce but have you reported it anyway?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It isn't a divorce. Just a boyfriend who has property that is legally owned by me.

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. So, did you report it to the Police yet? And if so, what did the Policy say?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not yet i AM waiting for the DA to call my lawyer back.. nothing yet. i think i might go to the police friday morning to report it and bring all my proof of ownership

Yes. Always consult your attorney first, but a police report is good evidence to have if possible.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney